Friday, August 29, 2008

Week 5 Update

Long Overdue post.
Project has been delayed slightly - for weeks 2, 3 and 4 - had to do a roadshow for work, got sick and my grandmother passed away. Not the best time. That being said, I've taken off 3 days from work this week to get back on track. Partial Treatise Draft is due next Friday - may end up handing it in on Monday.
I've hit a bit of a hurdle in that I'm having difficulty finding relevant design patterns to describe collaborative writing tools - it's looking like I may have to develop my own.

Plan of attack for the partial treatise draft:
Picking 2 collaborative writing tools - Google Docs (web-based, professionally developed) and Gobby (installed app, development project). Will try and relate important concepts to collaborative writing (eg 'awareness') to collaborative writing features (eg revision history) and then try and develop design patterns around them. Will use 3 design patterns for the draft to describe these tools and then put all the information in a matrix.
Expanding the draft into the full treatise should therefore only involve picking more tools and developing more design patterns (and of course coming up with more thorough discussions/conclusions).

Hopefully developing my own design patterns isn't going to be too difficult...

No comments: